The Student Council of St. Francis Xavier School is composed of two representatives for each grade 5 through 8. A president and vice president who are in the 8th grade and a secretary and treasurer who are in the 7th grade are elected to serve in these positions. These 12 representatives are elected by their peers and serve for a one year term of office.
The Student Council members are the voice of the student body raising community concerns and awareness. They involve the students in many school-wide activities, help to elicit funds for various worth-while projects, and participate fully in the activities they help run throughout the year.
Some of the recent work by the Student Council and school body are:
- Raising funds for Ronald McDonald House, St. Jude's Hospital, Covenant House, Preservation of Rain Forests,
- Donating food and time for the Homeless through CHIPS (Christian Help In Park Slope),
- Sending money for World Disaster Relief, such as, Catholic Missions, floods in Haiti, school in Africa, fires in California,
- Collecting food for the neighborhood poor through the Thanksgiving Drive,
- Keeping the school and church buildings and vicinity clean of litter for Earth Day,
- Assisting in social activities such as the Catholic School Week Carnival, Father/Daughter Dance, Christmas Fair,
- Acting as escorts to visitors especially on Open House Days,
- Creating posters for Drug Awareness and the above listed school activities.
Eighth Grade Winner
St. Edmund Prep Photo Contest
The judges chose Celeste’s photo, “An Afternoon in the Snow” because it clearly exhibits this year’s theme “The Beauty that Surrounds Us.”